Ram Nath Kovind has been elected as the 14th President of India. He was in a straight contest with Meera Kumar who was the candidate of Congress and other opposition parties. 99% voting took place in these Presidential polls and Kovind has won the elections with 65.65% votes.
He has also served as the governor of Bihar and his victory in Presidential polls was almost certain as the numbers were completely in the favour of NDA.
Here we present 10 facts about India’s new President Ram Nath Kovind that every Indian should know!
1) Ram Nath Kovind was born on 1st Oct in the year 1945 in a farmer’s family in Uttar Pradesh’s Kanpur Dehat.
2) A student of Kanpur University, Kovind graduated in Commerce as well as Law. After that, he moved to Delhi in order to prepare for the civil services examination which he was able to clear in his 3rd attempt. However, he was not able to go for the selection and started practising law.
3) In 1971, he got enlisted as an advocate with the Bar Council of Delhi and practiced law in Delhi High Court and Supreme Court for a period of 16 years, i.e., till 1993.
4) On May 30, 1974, he tied knot with Savita and the couple has a son and a daughter named Prashant and Swati respectively.
5) For 12 years, from 1994 to 2006, he served as a Rajya Sabha MP from Uttar Pradesh.
6) Kovind has served the party in various capacities, such as the national spokesperson and the former president of BJP Dalit Morcha from 1998 to 2002.
7) In October 2002, Kovind addressed the UN General Assembly plus he has also represented the nation at the UN headquarters, New York.
8) The Dalit politician has also been a board member at IIM-Kolkata and Dr. B R Ambedkar University, Lucknow.
9) Ram Nath Kovind became the governor of Bihar on August 8, 2015.
10) Kovind is the second Indian President who belongs to the Dalit community. Till now, KR Narayanan is the only Indian President who was from the Dalit community.
The postappeared first on .